A/C Installation Woes - what are my rights?

We bought two airconditioning split systems last October. One of them never worked well, but every time the installer came over to check it, it seemed to be working. We ended up just not using it. The other was not working at all, but Mitsubishi sent out another company that determined that it had been incorrectly gassed, regassed it, and sent the bill to the installer, and it worked fine all summer.

This Spring neither system was working again once the weather warmed up, so I called in Mitsubishi and they sent in someone to check it out, and they determined the installation was faulty and leaking so they repaired the leaks, checked all the joints and regassed the two systems, which are both working perfectly well finally.

This wasn’t a warranty issue, but an installation one, and so we were billed around $700 for the repairs. I’d like to know what my rights to redress are under consumer law, considering the original installation occurred over 12 months ago?

2 Likes

Services are covered by the ACL. You need hard evidence in writing and need to follow the explicit procedures in the ACL claims process. I will refrain from cutting and pasting them. Since you already paid Mitsubishi you may have ‘stepped in it’ by not giving the original installer a chance to fix it, innocent or not. Since that is the case, this seems most applicable as a place to start. Good luck and please let us know how you go.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reference.

Incidentally, we had no choice but to pay for the service on the day. The repairer (referred by Mitsubishi) would not even come and look before we had supplied credit card number and agreed to pay on the day if it was not a warranty issue. Nobody else (including the original installer) would come out and look in case it was a warranty issue.

I will follow your suggestion and come back with an update.

3 Likes