3-in-1 Bathroom Exhaust Fan, Light, Heater

Hi All,
Wondering if anyone has any recommendations (or avoid/stay away from) on a 3-in-1 Bathroom Exhaust Fan, Light & Heater? Choice have not undertaken a review to date, and wondered if anyone on this forum has undertaken their own independent review or experience in a product.
I am after something that has a powerful extraction rate and have no idea where to start.
Many thanks
:blush:

4 Likes

Hi @JenD, welcome to the community.

I have posted some comment here which may be useful to you:

We have 5 of the IXL Tastic Easy Duct Sensation. They work well. the only negative is they are hard to clean when dust accumulates within the unit. Being a moist environment, attract dust from the air and fluff from towels and need a clean out every year or so.

6 Likes

Is the intended purchase a replacement of like for like or upgrade?

The National building code requires a minimum of 25l/s (litres per second) air extraction rate for bathrooms. Reputable products will specify the flow rate and code/standards compliance. Note building and construction compliance is a state/territory responsibility.

The nominal airflow rates vary between brands and within a brands product range.
EG
IXL branded products,
Ventilation Update in Australia NCC Compliance 2019

If there is a ventilation issue that needs to be resolved, does it require additional consideration?

• There are experts who recommend higher minimum exhaust air flow rates than the NCC to reduce condensation issues as bathroom size increases.
  • Upgrades to roof insulation can change a roof cavity into an unventilated roof space which can result in condensation and mould issues.
  • A common solution is a ducted vent fan. There are models with provision for a ducted connection, and importantly a fan design to deliver the air flow required at a higher operating pressure.
  • A particular product may provide good ventilation in one owners experience but be unsuitable for another because of differences in the homes.
5 Likes

We have an IXL Tastic installed about 15 years ago when our bathroom was renovated. It is the type with four heat lamps, that can be switched on two-at-a-time.
We found that the heat lamps were not only good at heating but also produced a lot of white light - too much for our bathroom which was lit up like a stadium. I replaced the lamps with red glass ones ( like you’ll often see in reptile enclosures at the zoo ) for the same amount of heat without the blinding brightness.
I also fitted a louvred vent into the bottom of the bathroom door to improve airflow. ( I could also have just trimmed some off the bottom of the door for the same result )
Just like @phb, we have found it needs a good annual clean to get the dust out.

4 Likes

I have a, 2 pair of heat lamp ive never been sure if it has an, exhaust /extraction outlet it just, seems to go into the ceiling. Xan get dusty hqrd to clean it properly usually remove dust from the grill part.