2023 May Food Challenge Cooking Eggs đŸ„š

I sweat a truckload of silverbeet down with red onion, bung in a tin of tomato polpa, crack a few eggs over that, simmer to cook egg white firm, spinkle with chilli powder/ flakes, chuck some tinned sardines on top & grab a huge spoon. One of my my favourite meals.

7 Likes

Pancakes, eggs, bacon and maple syrup. To die for.

Otherwise, scrambled, poached, boiled, omeletted.

4 Likes

Would that be American style pancakes? In a stack? Yummy.

2 Likes

Omelette: the mouth watering breakfast dish that can be served at any time.
The filling possibilities in an omelette are limited only by our imagination, from spinach to confiture.
They say it’s all in the flip of the wrist to turn it into a perfect oblong shape. I think I’ll stick to making a frittata :wink:

4 Likes

I ticked “other” because we cook eggs various ways as follows:

1. For a Sunday treat, “Shallot Omelettes”. It’s actually with spring onions but we use the Aussie term “shallots”. It’s done the French style, beaten in 30 sec, cooked in 30 sec and eaten in 30 sec. My wife likes to add a little of the Woolworths mozzarella, cheddar and pecorino grated cheese mix.
  2. Fried sunny side up with runny yokes and bacon. Grated parmesan on the eggs while still runny, pan deglazed with dry sherry and sauce poured over eggs and bacon.
  3. European scrambled eggs, RĂŒhreier in German, literally stirred eggs. Drop eggs into a heated oiled pan, stir immediately with a fork until set and done. Much simpler and quicker than English style scrambled eggs. For kids, fry up some chopped bacon first then drop eggs on the bacon and stir. For adults, first mix eggs with a little water and lots of finely chopped chives. Just before set, throw in strips of smoked salmon, stir and serve.
  4. Boiled eggs, yoke runny. Piece the big end with a pin. For eggs straight out of the fridge, place in boiling water and cook for exactly 5 minutes.
6 Likes

Boiled, but not hard boiled and not quite ‘soft’ boiled. I boil them until they are gooey in the middle. So the yolk doesn’t spill out, but it does ooze out. Great for salads.

4 Likes

I am not laughing. I put a few drops of spicy red tomato sauce on the top of my sunny side up fried eggs.
:smiley:

3 Likes

Duck eggs are absolutely the best. The yolk is huge and somehow even more deliciously eggy - soft obviously. When I was young and silly eggs with accidental hard yolks (boiled, poached, fried) went straight into the bin!

4 Likes

I love a very fresh, free range (low volume pasture stocked) eggs at anytime.
An occasional treat is to scramble eggs with cream, chives and salted butter over a slow heat gently stirring until set. Served with some smoked trout, tomatoes, avocado and a twist of black pepper - yum

3 Likes

Scrambled, on top of sliced tomato and toast

3 Likes

Sounds good. Actually one of my favourite cafe snacks is a bacon and egg roll with a flat white but I look for places that will do it on Turkish with chilli sauce. That’s how we do it at home as well.

5 Likes

Have you ever tried to use a lid to cover the pan even add a, dash off water to create steam and assist with cooking so ine does not need to flip over. I only mean add a tablespoon or 2 of water. Providing one has a lid that fits the pan otherwise do as you suggest originally and flip over.

6 Likes

Good tip @passerbye123!
I often did it that way (putting a lid on the pan) to make sure all of the egg white cooks, and it also cooks a cover on top of the yolk while leaving it nice and runny inside. At the moment I flip it over to make the egg yolk cook well in a shorter time, and the light frying makes it a bit more tasty too :wink:

4 Likes

Handy too for those who prefer to not eat a fried egg that has any signs at all of gelatinous opacity in the top layer. I’m accomplished at flipping those eggs, survival of yoke not assured. I tend to bring them out barely holding together, yoke very fluid.

5 Likes

Good idea! Actually, I give it a slurp of dry sherry to deglaze the pan to make a quick jus that picks up the pan flavours and you pour it over the egg. I’ll remember to put a lid on it next time. I use a cheap McWilliams dry sherry. It adds just a bit of sweetness, not too much.

3 Likes

What a way to start the day, champagne breakfast calling. :yum:

1 Like

I love eggs scrambled with finely chopped fresh parsley on multi-seed bread toasted.

2 Likes