Sorting and filtering CHOICE review comparison tables

[quote=“postulative, post:45, topic:14502, full:true”]
On the phone testing and comparison front, I would like to add a brief (stops typing for a moment to permit commentary from the cheap seats) suggestion. Choice has been exhaustive in its review of mobile phones, and has made lots of useful information available to the reader. Two features I would love but that I cannot currently see are:

1. An option to export the whole pile of data into Excel, so the user can ‘fiddle’ with it.
  2. The ability to filter based upon a specified set of criteria. So for example, I want a phone whose display is at least 1080p, 5.5" diagonal. I like… Android OS, and I want my phone to be able to accept external memory. Finally, I want something that came out in the last two years.

The ability to export would negate the need for filters; the provision of filters would reduce the need to export.[/quote]

Thanks again for raising the issue @postulative and @meltam. I’ve moved your comments over here so we can continue the discussion on exporting data and hopefully my reply on the previous thread explains how to filter based on the above criteria. If not, let me know and I’ll reassess the answer.

As mentioned, occasionally we get feedback or requests for more details and sometimes we receive feedback the information we provide is too complicated. We’ve attempted to build on this over the years to create a comparison table that meets multiple needs.

One request is the ability to export data in Excel format. No doubt this would be valuable for some users, but it does raise some questions in terms of how we operate. Our comparison tables sometimes sit behind a paywall, which funds the work that happens at CHOICE. It helps keep us independent, which we know is critically important for many of our members. We need to keep control of this data as best as possible, but that doesn’t mean we don’t want everyone to have the ability to find what they need.

Would it be correct to say that the need being raised here is the ability to sort detailed comparison data by any criteria contained in the ‘compare all products’ tables? Or do we need simply need more effective filters up front. Feel free to leave any other suggestions (general or specific) on comparison tables.

1 Like