Made-to-measurement - online clothes shopping

Has anyone much experience with online ‘made to order’ clothes shopping?

There are plenty of online ‘tailors’, mostly creating menswear, who will throw together a suit for you. Some want you to send measurements while others, who seem infinitely more dodgy, want you to use your phone’s camera as a measuring tool. I’d love to see a CHOICE investigation and comparison on this, particularly related to:

Security: (Phone camera measuring?)
Quality: (Is product as described? Materials?)
Cost: (High end and low end)
Tailoring vs Matching: (Created from scratch vs these are my measurements, which of your clothes will fit them - filter)

Some places that I have browsed already:

https://www.eshakti.com/ (low to mid cost)
https://tahlo.com.au/ (mid to high cost)

I haven’t ordered anything yet because neither of them is really what I want.

I just want shirts, jeans, jumpers and jackets - without having to waste half a day shoulder-to-shoulder with strangers in loud crowded places, trying things on one small batch at a time because no two manufacturers make clothes to the same measurements.

I feel like there must be more out there. Any tips, anyone?

3 Likes

Is there anyone in our @Consumer-Campaigner group who can help?

2 Likes

I haven’t used them yet, but on the a blog I read https://fatmumslim.com.au/five-colourful-plus-size-friendly-dresses-we-need-in-our-lives/ she had listed some of her favourite online dresses and down the bottom in the comments someone has been happy with eshakti and had been buy for years from them. Which for me maybe I would try them (I have a weird body shape with very broad shoulders so nothing fits properly)

There’s also ZOZO too but I haven’t looked into them enough yet. (https://zozo.com/au/en)

Hope this helps

4 Likes

Not sure whether you are male or female with the clothing description???
My husband had a lot of success with shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt good quality and reasonable price when on special 3 for $99. Think they are an English firm, prompt delivery.
Myself I have never had any luck. XXL chinese I could not even get over my head. We even bought a medium dog coat for our daughter’s beagle, way too small had to change for a large, wonder what they call a Labrador or German Shepherd??? They are also quite difficult to deal with if the size is wrong, English is not good.
We did buy some tennis skirts and tops from info@tennis-warehouse.com
www.tennis-warehouse.com
in California, were actually a bit big but east to take in.
Ad In Tennis
https://adintennis.com
This is also USA company, we asked them why don’t they set up in Australia but they were not interested.
Not cheap and postage steep but as we can only get max of 16 in our sport stores worthwhile.
As the USA population is bigger than chinese in size you would be better going for some of them.

3 Likes

Hi, have you had a look at zozo.com? They send out out a special suit (covered in dots) that you video and then the clothes are made to fit you exactly. They have basic clothing like jeans, t-shirts and basic shirts/tops at very affordable prices.

They seem to have pretty good reviews so they might be worth a try. I’m in the process of ordering my Zozo suit right now.

3 Likes

I have used Modern Tailor for many years. I think they started off as a Chinese company, but have expanded since then.

They make all my work shirts and pants (male, officewear), as well as a couple of extra-long ties I bought from them. They get a heap of measurements, and produce products that properly fit my (non-standard) body.

On one occasion the pants I ordered had pockets that were shallower than I like (my pockets have to carry a lot). I contacted them, and they said just specify in your next order - which I did, and they met at no extra cost.

• Most digital cameras are set up to record location data by default. You can turn this off in some models, and if you have access to a computer (there may also be an app that does it) remove all the metadata (it is referred to as EXIF - so you want an EXIF remover).
  • I can only talk to the quality of what I have ordered from Modern Tailor - and they’re definitely good quality.
  • Cost? I get value for money. They often have ‘introductory’ offers with specific fabrics.

I can’t really address your last item. What I should say is that this company does business clothing, so probably isn’t what you are looking for - but for a Choice article I would suggest its inclusion.

Edit:

3 Likes

https://purepod.com.au/ seem to offer this service. Aussie products, ethical production etc.

Wow, that seems really cool. I like the look of the pricing too. I’d love to know how you find the experience - would you mind letting us know when it happens?

Thanks, I could only find their size chart… like, they say ‘measure yourself and then you know which of our personal sizes fit you’ which is what most online retailers do.

It’s not bad, of course. An afternoon with some tape and a lot of browsing would probably be cheaper in the long-run then looking for made-to-measure.

Hi, my “Zozo” suit has shipped and once that arrives I will try it out and purchase something (probably jeans) and let you all know.

Keep us up to date on this, I’ve just signed up but haven’t bought anything yet

Haven’t bought anything made to order clothes online, but reading you post the following also comes to mind…

It would also be interesting to know refund/return policies for online made to order clothes. What happens if the way the clothing, for example, it cut doesn’t sit properly or correctly.

I’ve been involved in an online shop in Thailand which makes and sells medieval clothing online. So my comments are based on that perspective.
We use a measurements instruction chart as well as a normal size chart (XS, S, M etc). In hundreds of sales we’ve only ever had one customer complain about sizing (we re-made the item and shipped it again, and that resolved the matter). Basically, if you follow the measurement instructions that the site provides, it should work.

Having said that, some clothes are better suited to online ordering. There’s a lot of leeway in medieval clothing, much less than there is in a contemporary men’s suit.

Like most online sellers, we have a very clear and generous refund policy, necessary to make sales online, it’s that simple. It’s not necessarily of our own volition: some jurisdictions (eg, EU) and most selling platforms require it. It’s also good business: if the client isn’t happy, their bad online review can be detrimental for the business, so a refund is always possible. In our case, if the buyer isn’t happy with the size or the quality of the item, they have the right to return the item.

If the seller offers payment by Paypal, you are normally (not always) covered by Paypal Buyer Protection. From the Seller’s point of view this is a pretty blunt instrument although it’s only happened once to us (United States Parcel Service lost the parcel). Paypal simply froze the money in our seller’s account until the matter was resolved. Buyers Protection is a good deal for buyers, but before you buy you need to check that you are covered by it. While I’m talking about Paypal, also make sure that your address in Paypal is up to date. Sellers ship to the Paypal address so if you’ve moved house and your Paypal address is out of date, delivery your order is unlikely to happen, and I doubt Buyers Protection will cover you.

I would also think twice about ordering through eBay. As a seller, we haven’t used eBay because they are quite rapacious compared to other platforms. As a buyer in the past, I’ve noticed that when something went wrong with my order, eBay’s processes were much more about protecting the seller than they were me, the buyer.

eBay give very limited space for reviews (80 characters from memory) and sellers on eBay who get a bad review also seem adept at re-listing the item under a slightly different name, and any bad reviews from sales of that item under its previous listing conveniently disappear. As a buyer, I now avoid eBay, and although I might look there I also look to see if a particular seller has another channel. If they do, I’d consider buying through that.

Social media selling sites such as Etsy can give you a better idea of how a seller is. If sellers on Etsy aren’t getting a majority of 5* ratings, I’d probably avoid them.

5 Likes

Definitely some great feedback.

2 Likes