Health Star Ratings - issues

Welcome to the forum @snap-dentist. A well presented post that I am moving it to this older topic that has related concerns about how companies are gaming the health star system.

Cheers,

3 Likes

@snap-dentist, welcome to the forum and what a great investigative first post…well done.

Agree, and these sort of deceptions are about short term profits rather than protecting long term reputations.

I hope that appropriate action is taken…and this like the well known Milo deception… is also taken up by Choice.

8 Likes

Oh for a national consumer policeman who can issue an on the spot notice to such businesses, order immediate remedy and fine the offender? Red light camera for deceptive packaging and marketing. Let Masterfoods argue the penalties after the fact in court if they choose.

Under the current system the misrepresentation could go on for a long time before the judicial feather is used to deliver a slap to the wrists.

I assume Colesworth et al are happy to have such products on their shelves, they should be called out at the same time. Or have they abandoned their community standards mantra in this instance.

Take the product off the shelves immediately.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum @snap-dentist . A well presented first post .

3 Likes

I take absolutely no notice of health stars. I don’t buy very much processed food and when I do, I just buy what I want.

3 Likes

I look at the health stars when browsing for a purchase, but check the nutritional panel when making a purchase decision.

I can see why you ignore them, as they can be somewhat misleading (or maybe ambitious might be a better word) or not give a indication of the products nutritional quality for a particular individuals needs.

3 Likes

We mostly cook from fresh products. For prepackaged products if it is a major part of a meal we look at the health stars and the nutrition panel, and also importantly the country of origin details.

For all else we tend to pick one product we know and not look elsewhere. You soon learn which regular purchases have high salt, sugars etc.

Quite a long read, but I found it well worth it. Explaining how the increasing prevalence of processed food is leading to poor health outcomes.

Unfortunately, our health star ratings system takes virtually none of this into account, looking simply at macronutrient content with a few extra points for foods containing nuts, veggies etc. I can see why they do it as it would be very difficult to do otherwise, but I think it’s leaving us with poor outcomes.

For example:

Full Cream milk: 4 Stars :star2: :star2: :star2: :star2:
Ingredients:

• Milk

Vanilla Bliss Soy MILK water. 5 stars :star2: :star2: :star2: :star2: :star2:
Ingredients:

• Filtered Water
  • Soy Protein (3.5%)
  • Corn Maltodextrin
  • Cane Sugar
  • Fructose
  • Vegetable Oils (Sunflower, Canola)
  • Acidity Regulators (332, 450)
  • Minerals (Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium)
  • Flavour
  • Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid)
  • Vitamins (B12, A, B2, B1)

The soy water is 12g of added sugars per serve and gets the maximum health star rating.

I give this example 3/5 shrugs :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

this might be why…

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum snap-dentist.

This is a shocker, easily the worst I’ve seen.

3 Likes

In another thread I gave my recipe for Christmas trifle. It comes with a warning that it is very rich and should be reserved for special occasions. It is made of cake, booze, mangoes, creme patisserie, chocolate ganache, whipped cream and berries. It is scrumptious! Alone I would rate it as 1/2 star, which it gets for no added salt. To avoid weight gain you should run up the stairs of Sydney Tower once for each slice you eat.

It can be made into a meal (for 16) when served with 9.7 kg of dry coleslaw. It would then rate 4 stars. This marketing business isn’t too hard really.

9 Likes

An article in the The Conversation has shown how bad the system of Health Stars is. It tallies well with what CHOICE have been saying in this area.

Authored by members of the George Institute for Global Health and published on 3 July this year it makes some interesting points including about who was and wasn’t on the Implementation Committee.

4 Likes

Is it the system or is it how the system is being managed?

I was left with the impression that it is the management of the system we need to change. The principles behind the star ratings are being corrupted by poor management.

The report attributes this to a lack of regulation. The system is not mandatory and management is the responsibility of those with vested interests.

Should food suppliers and manufacturers have control over how their products are health star labelled?

The most important outcomes of reliable food labelling are most important for consumers. It seems so inappropriate, wrong that consumers do not have control. Or is it that the consumer’s representatives have ceded control to parties who have different interests?

3 Likes

I take the management of the rating system to be an integral part of the system, without good management the whole system fails (or to those playing it it is probably seen as successful). As the article points out those who only represent 29% of the goods using the ratings, were on the implementation committee and the Coles, Woolworths and ALDI supermarkets whose goods were responsible for 56% of goods using the ratings were not represented. Is this skewing leading to the bad outcomes, to me it would seem to point to that. So not just the management of it but the rules that underpin it all are likely linked to the “gaming”.

5 Likes

While still strictly following the system makers can choose to:

• opt out for foods that would look bad or
  • to sell foods that are not healthy but score well by manipulating their presentation.

There is no management applied (or not applied) by authorities in these situations. We do not have these manipulations being reported as breaches of the code because they are not.

The problem is not that vested interests mismanaged the system after the fact it is that they had far too much influence on building the system from the ground up. They carefully arranged it so that no management was required.

There was a recent review but the authorities flubbed it, allowing (for example) rating of any given product to continue to be optional despite strenuous representations to the contrary. It is clear whose system it is, the manufacturers own it and the authorities meekly put their stamp on it.

3 Likes

I found this one needed a second look.
You do need to look closely to make sure you read it as it is intended. Although most likely know the health star rating anyway. Or do we?

TimTams have health stars! 5? Oops 0.5 They do use a big fat 0 before the 5 just to be sure.
Yes, they also sort of fill in a little bit of the first star bottom left.
Well done Arnotts?

3 Likes

Hello
I am annoyed that Neslē has still been displaying 4.5 health stars for its Milo cereal which is full of sugar. They try to cover this up saying it’s full of nutrients and minerals and that you should have with fruit and skim milk and water. As if you’d do that! I personally only have full cream milk with my cereal, and I usually have coffee to compliment it. Neslē needs to fix its packaging. Interested as to what others think.

5 Likes

This practice earned a Choice shonky for Milo when these food ratings first came out.
Nothing new, and nothing done to fix it so far.

6 Likes

Resurrecting this older topic, most consumers might not focus on what a HSR means in context of grocery shopping. This recent fluff piece explains it.

1 Like

Therese O’Sullivan, Professor in Nutrition and Dietetics, confirmed that soy milk should only be compared to other soy milks with this system, not with dairy products, including full cream milk.

“The Heath Star Rating (HSR) is designed for comparison of similar products in the same food category — typically found in the same section of the shop. It only applies to packaged products,” she told Yahoo News Australia.

So if you create a type of dessert Instant Heart Attack that is 60% saturated fat, 30% sugar and 10% salt I can create a competitor that is much healthier, only 45% sat fat, 25% sugar and 8% salt and get 4 stars.

On a different tack, how does the average punter compare the health value of the best full cream and the best soy milk?

1 Like